by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

R.A.T gaming mouse.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R.A.T gaming mouse.

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 am

Hello. My sidewinder mouse is finally on its last legs.

I am looking at a replacement and am interested in the precision aim mode on the R.A.T. series of mice from the 5 upwards.

I gather it is a side button that reduces DPI when held. This appeals to me as I usually change DPI on the fly in game as many as 100 times per match. Currently I have to move my middle finger back onto the DPI buttons which is a pain in the finger.

So.. has or do any of you use R.A.T. mouse? can you give me your thoughts on them and let me know which series you have and if it is worth the money. Also the ''precision aim mode'' is it a gimmick or does it do what it says on the tin.

If you dont use a R.A.T. what can you suggest and why? ( as much info as possible please)

Many many thanks for your aid.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: R.A.T gaming mouse.

Post  BehemothNL on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:59 am

I got the RAT5, and love it! If you have bigger hands than this is amazing.
The feel of the mouse is truly great. DPI 5600 is more than enough.
RAT7 has only got a bit more DPI and that's about it. So go for the RAT5 or RAT9.

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/sNiPeReLiTeNL

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:01 am

and the precision aim mode.. is it good? does it work?

thank you.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BehemothNL on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:24 am

I don't use the precision aim, maybe because I was very used to FPS games without the precision aim and can aim quite well.
It works, just reducing the DPI by some for a small amount of time.
The greatest thing is being able to customize not only the buttons but the mouse itself aswell.
Length and weight can be changed and you can have 3 sets of pre-programmed buttons and you have a place to rest your thumb on.

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/sNiPeReLiTeNL

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:16 am

thank you for the info. appreciate it. Now to figure out a way to explain that money for a mouse..lol! 
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 pm

I contemplated one of the RAT series but for me they just had way too many buttons that I'd never use or that I'd use too many times by accident until I remembered to bind them.

I went for a Sharkon Drakonia in the end, feels really weird when you first get it but after an hour or so it's by far the comfiest mouse I've ever had.
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm

My cherry mouse has a left and a right button and a wheel in the middle that also clicks to zoom in!  I can change the DPI but tbh, ive never even touched it.....  100 dpi changes PER GAME..... my god man, my brain would simply fry if I had another thing to think about....

I have just retired a logitech G400 gaming mouse after only a couple of months as the USB lead must have a break and I was getting inapropriatley timed loss of control, I wont touch logitech mice again..
AndyScouser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Logitech are supposed to be reliable. I have a wireless one as a backup.. it seems ok but lacks functions I am now used to.

Yes I change DPI allot. 2000 for close range and general manouvres, 1200 for mid range shooting and down to 800 for long range shooting and precision shooting such as aiming for cupola and gun ports,tracks etc. It is taxing hence my frequent rest periods. I have a key logger that tells me how many times its been pressed and the average is roughly 100.

Ive still not bought a mouse yet still considering the price tag on the RAT's

anyone know of any other mouse that has a precision aim mode button?

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 am

The only thing I can think of would be a razer mouse. I dunno if it is good or all hype but this one has an instant DPI change button for accurate aiming:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros

but the RAT, OMG it looks like optimus prime transformed into a mouse or smth...
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 am

ha ha ha ha ah ha its £100. but .. it does look sexy.

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 am

Had to google this mouse. Yep, Sapaki is right. How the hell do you grip that thing? But I have to say I would like to have one, as a decoration Wink

I have Ozone Radon 3k, just because I needed a mouse quickly when my old one died and this was in a local shop.
It has 4 customisable dpi settings that are stored inside the mouse (not in any program), the button is just below the middle button. 2 thumb buttons, bit oddly positioned for me, they are used as forward and back buttons for browsers by default (I was pleasantly surprised by this and now can't live without it). 4 profiles for the buttons. Weights for changing the ...weight.

I really like the ergonomics, feel and the look of it. Only problems I had was when the dpi label around the laser started to come off and blocked the laser. If you ever heard cursing that my mouse didn't work that's what happened (at the worst possible moment). Took it off and cleaned off the adhesive and it works better than ever.

I got it for 30€ myself, so not too expensive for a gaming mouse.

Instructor
Deputy Commander
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:01 pm

so do you guys actually change your dpi settings when sniping? In what sense is it better than changing mouse sensitivity in the program's settings?
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 pm

because it only applies when you press a mouse button and the Setting in the options applies always? i don't use this Feature of my mouse i only programmed a Button for instant zoom in/out (what the shift key does on the Keyboard.
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:22 pm

In some mice, you can change the dpi "on the fly". Meaning that with the push of a button, your mouse is much less sensitive to movement. Usually, you want your mouse to respond as quickly as possible when you are looking around (high dpi), and as slowly as possible when you want to aim accurately (i.e. sniping or aiming for weakspots), therefore you want low dpi. 

This completely eradicates the "shackey hand" effect when you are trying to aim accurately with a high dpi (thus very sensitive) mouse. 

I think that dpi can be altered both through software (for some mice that support it), in which case they have a dedicated "macro" button on the surface, either on the top either on the thumb. My mouse changes both refresh rate as well as dpi, but it is done via hardware (small switches) that are under the mouse, so I cannot do it on the fly. Therefore I do suffer from the "shakey hand" syndrome and miss a lot of shots because of this.

Switching between dpi settings is a huge help, and you can see it as a tool for tuning (pointing as fast as you can in a general direction - normal dpi) and then fine-tunning your aim (adjusting your aim exactly to where you want your shell to land - low dpi).
Sapaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 pm

interesting, that could indeed be very useful. Thanks for the explanation sapaki,I can actually imagine a use case now where it would help me.

it won't help me with my click problem but at least the initial aim will be better. :-s (for some reason when I click I push my mouse forwards just a bit, like a tiny nudge)
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainfarter on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 pm

I went with the Corsair M65 FPS Vengeance.

http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-mice/vengeance-m65-fps-laser-gaming-mouse-white-artic-white.html

Still havent found out how to use the sniper-button, though.
The rest is working as intended or better.

/B

The more I practice, the luckier I get
Brainfarter
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 am

I have a R.A.T. 7

I really like the customizability of it's shape. It is very comfortable if you have large hands. You can just rest your hand on top of it, instead of having to clutch it.

The sensor can be a hit and miss unfortunately, so it seems their quality control isn't the best. I lose an axis as soon as a tiny speck of dust finds it's way into it. My friend's R.A.T. 7 does not have that problem at all, even though his desk is considerably dustier than mine.

I don't use the sniper button on it, because in WoT I actually prefer to play on lowest sensitivity. Your gun will always trail behind it anyway, so I prefer to have it set quite sluggishly. I have used it in other games, like ArmA and Sniper Elite V2 and it does work quite well.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase. Mostly because it is very comfortable to use.
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 am

at £50 that corsair looks quite tempting. I like the placing of the sniper button too.. for my thumb.

Id get it in black though.. so far its that or the series 5 they are both similar price.

place bets now!
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glooscap on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 am

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer wrote:at £50 that corsair looks quite tempting. I like the placing of the sniper button too.. for my thumb.

Id get it in black though.. so far its that or the series 5 they are both similar price.

place bets now!

Don't forget a decent mouse mat!
glooscap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 am

been looking into everything since I feel somewhat ghetto now, but these mouse mats that are recommended are also quite expensive. Does a mouse mat make that much of a difference?

currently I just use an old wireless mouse straight on a cheap white Ikea desk, you all use mats?
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glooscap on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 am

I use a Gigabyte M6900 with a Sharkoon mousemat (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-1337-Gaming-Mouse-Mat/dp/B000KHTBQM)

Mouse glides lovely. Much better than the bare desktop.
glooscap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:51 am

HowTheStoryEnds wrote:been looking into everything since I feel somewhat ghetto now, but these mouse mats that are recommended are also quite expensive. Does a mouse mat make that much of a difference?

currently I just use an old wireless mouse straight on a cheap white Ikea desk, you all use mats?
I used to play in FPS games in the late 90's with a Mechanical mouse ( rubber ball underneath it) and I could use that anywhere. On the desk, the floor, my knee, the wall, on the cat...

However if you have an optical mouse infra red/laser then you want something that is uniform, and preferably a mat non reflective surface. There are so many factors that you can try to get the right mix of to ensure it feels right.

1. the flex of the mat.. if its very thick and spongy it will provide comfort for your hand and wrist but as it compacts the mouse reading will change slightly with the curved depression your making.. this sounds a very small consideration but it really can effect your aim. For me a thin mat is best. I rest often so I get a consistent surface and no fatigue.

2. the resistance of the matt.. how much effort you need to move the mouse.. some people like it to require a bit of force.. others like it to glide effortlessly.

There are other factors but these are the main 2.

If I am playing something like Quake then I want a very smooth gliding surface so I can spazz about the screen with a sniper rifle very quickly. WOT is not like that at all its rather sedate so a more grippy mat is better in my opinion.

a mouse mat ( and the right one) will no doubt improve your performance and your comfort.

google this thing >

Razer Vespula

thats what im considering right now.. 2 sided for different applications and a rest for your wrist.. and it will last 5 years or more I hope.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:11 pm

interesting mat, will have to see if I can buy that here.
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 am

I bought me a rat 7 and a razer goliathus control mouse mat (which was one I could find here), the mouse is great but advanced so it'll take quite a while to get used to and the mat is large and smooth as butter yet remarkably non-hampering resistive so precise. All in all I never thought I'd spend so much money on a mouse but my god what a nice mousing experience now. Smile
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:51 am

HowTheStoryEnds wrote:I bought me a rat 7 and a razer goliathus control mouse mat (which was one I could find here), the mouse is great but advanced so it'll take quite a while to get used to and the mat is large and smooth as butter yet remarkably non-hampering resistive so precise. All in all I never thought I'd spend so much money on a mouse but my god what a nice mousing experience now. Smile
You really decided to go all out with this mouse and mat thing? Razz

Instructor
Deputy Commander
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down