Post  Ding760 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 am

PDF Download Link: mediafire.com ?cctovvd44zh5c9y

Originally written by Oxmaster
Ding760

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SU-152 Guide <Downloadable>

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm

OK, I'm very sorry but I can not agree with this guide at all.

You use the 152mm gun on the SU-152 with HEAT because it's the only decent penning rounds it has, even more than its other guns. The main issue with the 122mm guns is that its pen of 175 is very low when meeting more than its own tier, it basically reduces this tank to a flankshooter yet it lacks the speed to do that, making it very situational.

Even premium shells on the 122mm have lower pen than the prems on the 152, making the 152 with premium shells the only logical choice, an expensive choice but a logical one. HE actually doing damage with the 152 is an added bonus that can come in handy at times. (my load-out is 16 HEAT, 10 HE shells) This tank sees tier 9 battles too much not to need premium shells on whichever gun you chose.

Reload time obviously is a lot more horrible on the 152 than on the 122 but the fact that the gun is too low in pen makes for quite a few bounces or tracks eating shots that you just don't get with the 152mm. In which case you might as well get some actual bang for your premium buck and shoot the 152mm. The 122mm also isn't fast enough to 'machinegun' your opponents so a single incoming big alphastrike tends to be more effective than 2 shots of the 122mm, especially with the bad pen.

Mobility of this thing is just: BAD. It's pretty slow compared to its predecessor and its traverse is quite slow, meaning that you can't easily stroll up into an enemies face and one-shot them like you could do with its predecessors.

Equipment choice is limited in my opinion, you MUST have a rammer, a Gun Laying Drive and binoculars. The big gun has too slow of reload time not too use a rammer and aiming time with 3.4 seconds can use any help it gets. The binocs will elevate your viewrange to 412.5 meters and is more or less dictated by this tanks play style: being third line back.

You can't really get into the forefront/second line support like you could with the SU-100 or SU-85 because of the slow reload, horrible traverse and the lacking armour. The generally bad mobility of this tank means that when directly facing an enemy it's "do or die" time, with "die" being an enemy with too much health or a missed shot on your part: in both these cases your enemy gets a 15 second free for all and an easy flank on you.
Thus you *must* be behind others and performing as a supportive sniper (at least initially), preferably setting up the opponents or taking them out with your heavy alphastrike with the one or 2 shots you have on them. Being a slow also means that even when spotted other targets must be lit up as well so you're not a priority: you're just not decently fast enough to run away. The limited traverse also means that you can't duke it out like a stug III when being circled so you must rely on your enemy fearing you to much to approach, in my opinion due to the to slow reload time, low alpha and subpar penetration on the top gun this again only leaves the SU-152 with the 152mm as a choice.

Skills to take: just your regular TD skills, 6th sense, camouflage, repair eventually. On this tank BIA would actually be an OK asset since you don't have the space for vents and it improves both loading and aimtime.
My preferred skill layout would be Commander: 6th sense, rest camo, second skill BIA, 3th skill camo + whatever you fancy most.

All in all this is not a tank I consider worthy keeping. I can't yet compare with other tier 7s but this one's top gun isn't worth it, making it a very expensive tank to run due to the HEAT spammage that needs to occur. IMHO it's more or less the Russian equivalent of the Jagdpanzer IV but with one saving grace: the totally awesome 152mm HEAT shells.

edit: in case anyone's wondering, you can fire prem shells the whole time with 152 and still make a profit if you have a premium account, just have to watch out that they hit and make a minimum amount of damage, which sometimes means going for Confederate instead of Top Gun if you catch my drift. If you do this and you don't have premium account then losses should still be minimal at around 1-2K/game. (provided you win of course, on a loss you'll lose credits harshly)
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm

I plan to use the 152. HE and a bit of HEAT for tougher targets.

Rammer/GLD/Vents mounted.

Crew: Camo on all first, as you do NOT want to be seen if you can avoid it. Your gun scares heavies, so if they can quickly take you off the table, they will. Will retrain the commander to 6th once at 100%, driver will get Clutch Braking second.

2 games so far and I can say this TD is just pure lolz. VK3001P appears, BADOOM, oneshotted with HE in the face. JT spotted in the distance, he shows me his side, BADOOM, nearly 400 of his health disappeared. IS rolls up, BADOOM, hit him for 360+ in the face.

There is no sofistication here. This is the brutal boxer with the wild swinging K.O. punch and the glass chin.

Not saying that's a bad thing Laughing 
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm

nilzatron
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Agreed, anyone who uses anything but the 152mm derp on the SU needs their head examining!

Also, I can't fathom why you would neglect a camo net on this tank. If you get spotted you ard ead, so logically do everything you can to avoid being spotted, ergo camo net.

Camo net, GLD and rammer are the mandatory kit I use on all my TDs.

Also, perservere with the SU, cos the ISU is delicious!
we_just_dinged_em

View user profile http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 pm

It puts a big smile on my face everytime on of those HE shells hits it's target. With enough patience long distance shots on stationary targets are very much possible.

The crew I put in it is close to 100% camo already, so I figured I would use vents to boost gunnery skills a little bit more. Swapping out the vents for a camo net should be a no-brainer if your crew isn't (near) 100% trained in camo.
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Also, as you have basically no armour, I cant see an advantage to taking binos in this TD. Let the tomatos in your team do them spotting whilst you troll the baddies from the rear!
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 pm

I use binoculars because while it's as blind as a hetzer it doesn't have the same bouncy armour that allows one to assault td. So I want to prevent people sneaking up on me, hence the binoculars.

Generally I don't use them on tanks with this low viewrange but I stay on the backline with this tank.

As for letting others spot: we all know how that goes, they usually die to invisible tanks screaming "hax!"the rest of the game. I have had to spot my own targets to much in this tank.
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:25 am

Thats why you never go alone in a TD, use and abuse your team mates to increase your stats - its what I do!

I've even been known to hide behind teammates and let them take the hits (ask Vampir what happens when he takes his pwnpanzer E100)
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 am

my solo cat herding skills just aren't up to that.
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayart on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 am

I'm using the 152mm (hurr) with 11 AP (perfect for T6-5 games), 11 HEAT (for the rest) and 4 HE.
Vents, rammer and... GLD. Yeap, gotta get that 3.4 aiming time down. Plus I think being static in this tank with this gun is a mistake. You can with the 122mm guns, but the 152mm makes for a closer play style. I love peekabooing around corners in this thing (works all the time on makes like Airfield).

I carry the oil that gives +5% to engine power instead of a fire extinguisher. It gives the extra mobility this tank needs.

Last edited by Bayart on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Bayart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 pm

I never used gold on my SU-152, HE exclusively.  If a tank was particularly hard to shoot frontally, id shoot underneath and between the tracks, if I wasnt frontal to him, sides or rear as usual.  When i first got the SU i did try HEAT but found a lot more expensive bounces.  
Paulonifo2k13 bought one last night, I platooned up with him in my rebought ISU-152.  Paul used AP for the first 5 games and was about to rage sell the TD, after switching to HE only, 10th game in MASTER ACE TANKER!

OOI, first game out in my ISU-152 with BL-10 last night and I had put my SU-152 load out on, all HE apart from 2 AP.   That was interesting taking 300-400 in general each shot with HE, oh, and that 1040hp in a single shot from the side of a VK4502 Razz Im now back on the brutal AP BL-10 and normal 700-1000hp shots are back
AndyScouser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayart on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:48 am

HEAT is bouncy on slopped surfaces, but otherwise it's a guaranteed 700+ roll.
Bayart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top