by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

one bright spot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

one bright spot

Post  vorlontank on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 am

in a really dismal night, i was struggling to get any good results,
this is my first replay, never had them enabled even before, tbh i really wasnt good enough, but lateley i have ahd a few better games

http://www.noobmeter.com/replay/500745816.130115627583751717

critiques gladly accepted

vorlontank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: one bright spot

Post  Vampir_Kifla on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Alrighty then! Good score btw.

The first thing I've noticed is the ammo. Don't ever carry more than 5 rounds of HE shells (unless you're arty or you have a derp gun) because you won't need it. HE is only used for killing enemies with like 20 HP (you can shoot Types in the cupola and still cause dmg, I killed few of them in this way) and for quick decapping. After that I would recommend taking around 10 gold shells because you might end up against Tiger Ps, Ferdinands, angled T32s and stuff which you can't reliably penetrate without carefully aiming for weakspots. While 200mm pen is sufficient in T7 and mostly T8, in T9 becomes a bit too low. So yeah, maybe put like 35 AP rounds, 10 APCR and 5 HE.

Onwards with the game! That spot is very good for TDs, especially if you can go hull down (JgTiger, T30 etc). If you see enemies more than 400m away, they can't spot you even if you shoot so there's no need to move (but a good reflex to have nevertheless, pulling back into cover is always safer). After you spotted that M4 and shot, you should've moved to cover since you were spotted and easily shot at. Careful aiming in tight situations helps a lot (would've been really good if you killed that M4 with the second shot instead of blowing his tracks off) because you deal with enemies quicker and expose yourself less.

If I was in your place, I would've gone back to the base because I know that JgPanther can't deal with 4-5 enemies simultaneously. Going back to base would provide you some cover and you could set up an ambush for them. That way, you could've maybe gotten more dmg and lived in the end. But then again, staying there and holding them off while killing that Tiger (nice blindshot Very Happy ) is also good since you prevented them from going forward and kept them occupied so they hadn't come back to the base. Also, very nice angling there in the end. JgPanther doesn't have much armor, but sometimes it can help. Although never rely on that armor.

All in all good game, maybe a bit lucky with bounces and that the team wasn't utter garbage (just imagine if 10 of them failed in the middle push and got killed). One thing I noticed is that you don't have sixth sense. It is imperative to have it as a first skill for the commander in all TDs. I'd suggest going for repairs on all other members, then as second skills repair on the commander, clutch braking for driver, safe stowage for loader etc. Or maybe BIA for all. Depends what you like.

So quick summary:
- you need a better ammo setup
- always aim carefully, wasting shots can be deadly
- always pull back into cover if you know you've been spotted (unless you're sure that there aren't any other enemies)
- get sixth sense asap
- with all tanks, try to stay alive as much as you can. If the situation is closer (like 10-9 for your team), always pull back if you see there's no chance of you surviving at your current spot

There you go, I hope it helps Razz

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  vorlontank on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 pm

thanks for the insights, you may be right about the ammo load-out, although i haven't used any gold ammo on any of my tanks yet. i think this is probably going to change. mostly i haven't found it necessary/ felt it was an unfair advantage.perhaps now i'll just use it and feel dirty lol.
the he i usually use against highly armoured targets at distance,especally now as so many shots seem to do critical damage of some kind. so funny to hit a hull down t34 and know you have probably killed a crew member or broke something
sixth sense is training now as second skill but i may drop first and retrain.

the more i think about that game(i watched it again this morning before work) i think i should have pulled back more when i saw they were being flanked, just being greedy really and not thinking they could see me(i think it may have been a blind shot into the bushes i was behind.
that vk was so lucky to be tracked, but still 15 shots 14 pens

vorlontank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Well the thing about HE ammo is that it bounces against high armored tanks (eg. the mantlet of T34) and you'll be more useful shooting gold at let's say Ferdi and doing 320 dmg then shooting HE and doing 50 dmg. HE is pretty random aswell.

I agree that gold ammo is unfair and would like to see it removed from the game tbh. But the problem is if you don't use it, you're effectively limiting your performance. And besides, everyone uses it anyway. I rarely use it, but sometimes it's necessary to ensure we win. Let's say you're left alone against 200 HP Ferdinand and 150 HP E-75. You could easily take them out with gold and win it, but with HE you'd just look funny. Smile 

Random stuff: I recently got shot by an Object 268 who shot gold at me. I was driving IS-8. He has around 300mm pen with AP rounds and used gold with 450mm pen. Really? I don't think that was necessary Laughing

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top