by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Would I fit in?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would I fit in?

Post  Niflhel on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:41 am

Hello people of SGTA.
While browsing the official WoT forum, I came across a link to this site. I took a look around, and it piqued my interest. I think the purpose behind this clan is amazing, and it's a really good addition to the WoT community.

Before applying, I want to make sure I'd fit in and that you guys can help me accomplish my goals.
So allow me to introduce myself.
I started playing WoT during closed beta, and due to my tendency to seek out information of the mechanics behind the games I'm playing, quickly managed to become an above average player. This wasn't hard, as the majority was using auto-aim while driving at full speed back then. I played a total of around 2000 games during the beta, and had decent stats by the end.
Since release, I've continued to improve my skills to the point where I'm quite often a deciding factor in the games I've played - I currently maintain a winratio of around 56%. I'm a team player, and often sacrifice myself for the team by covering flanks alone, or pushing when no one else does. I'd call myself an above average, but not good, player.
The improvements have been going quite slowly, though, as I've only played 2500 battles since release, due to taking long breaks from WoT. I really enjoy the game, but after 500-1000 battles (99.9% randoms) I often find myself quite frustrated and take a break.
I've been a member of two other clans, but both had activity problems, and when I platooned with them it was always an unorganized mess.

I have a mix of various vehicles, mostly tier 5-8. I did drive a tier 9 tank during the beta, but didn't find it more enjoyable than the lower tiers, and as such, my goals since release have been unlocking tanks I thought had potential to be fun. Grinding toward tier 10 vehicles haven't been a part of my goals, but I'm still somewhat close to unlocking a couple of tier 9s.

I returned after a 3-4 month break a couple of days ago, and have been playing some of the tanks I have available. After thinking a bit, I came to a conclusion - Grinding through tanks, specially of the higher tiers, is no fun for me, and I believe it's one of the main reasons why I end up taking breaks. While many of my tanks, such as the KV-4, the Tiger 2 and the Tiger P are somewhat fun to play, I really believe that heavy tanks just aren't for me. Luckily for me, I have a tank available that suits me perfectly - The M18 Hellcat. It strengths (Speed, camo, firepower, decent view range, turret and mantlet) and it's weaknesses (Transverse, turret transverse, no armor and open topped) together creates a tank that's very satisfying to play. It can play a major role in any battle no matter if it's a tier 6 or 8, and with its speed, it's capable of reacting to whatever is happening on the battlefield, quickly relocating to another flank or sneaking through enemy lines and causing havoc in their backfield. It has one of the highest learning curves in WoT, as well as one of the highest skill ceilings, meaning you can really improve your performance in it with enough training.
So I made a decision. While I have a couple of tanks I wish to unlock (T49, T71 and maybe WZ131/WZ132), I want to focus on mastering the M18. My short term goal is currently getting a third skill/perk on my M18 crew (360k xp to go!).
While I get better and better the more I play the M18, I think getting together with like minded people will provide a major boost in my performance, hence my interrest in this clan.
These are the areas I'd like to improve on:
*Learning to play the M18 as efficiently as possible.
*Map knowledge. I got a functional understanding of each map, such as what route to take and the general layout of the map, but I'm interrested in advanced knowledge - Primarily of things that would improve my M18 play, such as the location of good bushes and cover, routes with decent cover where I can slip through the enemy lines, spots where enemy TD and tanks alike are likely to camp etc.
*Battlefield and situational awareness. I always keep an eye on the map, but have a tendency to tunnelvision and ending up in situation I could have avoided.
*Organized team play (platoon/company battles, not CW). I've only played in platoons for less than 20 games, and they was never organized, so there's lots of room for improvement here.

With these goals in mind, do you think SGTA would be a good fit for me? Do you have any good M18 drivers?
Another reason I'd like to join is that I believe I could contribute toward the goal of the clan - I wouldn't mind sharing my knowledge of the game with less experienced players.

Thanks for reading.
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Would I fit in?

Post  Sapaki on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 am

Hello and thanks for this post.

As with everything, some things in SGTA will fit your requirements like a glove, others less so. I am not part of the instructors, but I am sure that we have got 1-2 who are doing quite well with that tank. 

What you will find here in SGTA is some good teamwork in platoons and most importantly in TCs. Since you have played mostly randoms you will find TCs quite interesting as they are all about teamplay and coordianted tactics.

If you are looking for organization you will find it here both in toons and TCs. Organization and coordination are game-changers as you will find out. 

Additionally, there are "map tours" available, others planned others upon request.

We also have some tips about situational awareness and have held some classes too.

I suggest you try SGTA out and see whether it fits you. You can leave anytime if you wish. 

My opinion is that you will benefit the most from inermediate and advanced courses.

If you decide to apply I am at your disposal.

Oh yes and about your question, yes I thing you would fit. The only thing you must keep in mind is that once in  SGTA there is a minimum of involvement. One class per week at least and checking the forum at least once a week.

If you are still undecided, the topics below will clear things out for you:

http://sgta.pro-forum.co.uk/t359-mission-statement

http://sgta.pro-forum.co.uk/t120-how-things-work-here-aka-read-this

Sapaki
Admissions Officer
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks for the reply Sapaki.

Sounds like I'll have a good time in SGTA, so I'll go to the application forum and make a post right away.
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wasp on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 am

Hey hey hey :-)

We can help you with most of these points.
Map tactics, situational awareness and team play shouldn't be a problem.
For the Hellcat: I think Vallu has one, so does Vampir, both are great players maybe they can show you a trick or two.
But after all it comes down to your overall skill. If you improve that you can play every tank in a satisfying way.
It seems like you are one of the more experienced players that come to learn so the Intermediate and additional courses will fit you well Very Happy

For the preferences you have I would suggest the french light tanks AMX 13 75 and especially the 13 90 are what you are looking for.
Autoloaders need some time to get used to them but after you mastered them they can be game changers.

My beloved VK 3601H is also a fabulous tank for lower tiers, if you haven't tried it yet give it a shot.

See you on the battlefields
Wasp

DEP. COMMANDER
DEP. COMMANDER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the advice Wasp.
The VK3601h was my favorite during the beta, it's a real joy to play. I've also driven the AMX 13 75, but was unable to unlock it's full potential - The part I was struggling the most with was the horrible gun elevation. But I got more experience with lightly armored fast tanks now, so perhaps I should think about buying it again. Still got the crew!
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am

Yeah SGTA does look like the place where you can attain most of your goals.

As concerning the M18 Hellcat, if you want to improve on it, contact an SGTA member called vontrox. He has an unholy amount of games on his M18, something like 12000? and needless to say, he's good at it.
Ding760

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm

I've checked out Vampir_Kilfa, Vontrox and Vallu01s stats with the M18, and I must say, it looks very promising!
Vampir_Kilfa, Vontrox and I got pretty comparable stats (I got nothing on Vallu01, he got some of the best stats I've seen on an M18), but I believe all 3 could teach me quite a bit. My survivability rate is WAY lower than theirs (35% vs 47%-63%) which tells me they're all better avoiding bad situations , so I'd love to see exactly how they handle the M18 in game. And Vontrox, with all those battles, could surely teach me a lot about playing the M18 on all the different maps.
One thing is certain though, if any two or three of us tooned up, we'd bring some serious pain to the enemy team.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them in game.
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey there!
So yeah, I'm kifla, not kilfa Very Happy 
Here's a kifla for you

I do own a Hellcat and it's a keeper for me. One of the best tanks I've played if not the best. Since you're pretty good with it yourself, I think you don't need much advices, but I'd be more than happy to platoon and share some tips & tricks. So just PM me whenever you see me ingame. Wink

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Don't platoon with him mate, he steals your kills, pinches your camping spots and shoots your tracks.

I don't know why I platoon with him, bit I like a challenge.

Positively the WORST place to learn about tenks!
we_just_dinged_em

View user profile http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wasp on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Niflhel wrote:
I've also driven the AMX 13 75, but was unable to unlock it's full potential - The part I was struggling the most with was the horrible gun elevation. But I got more experience with lightly armored fast tanks now, so perhaps I should think about buying it again. Still got the crew!

It is on half price now (AMX Discount) maybe that can convince you to rebuy it Very Happy

DEP. COMMANDER
DEP. COMMANDER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Dong760 wrote:Don't platoon with him mate, he steals your kills, pinches your camping spots and shoots your tracks.

I don't know why I platoon with him, bit I like a challenge.

I even heard he team kills. Not fully sure, let's confirm this with Vallu Twisted Evil

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Apparently Vallu was so angry with him he could have torn a wet paper tissue in two....

Positively the WORST place to learn about tenks!
we_just_dinged_em

View user profile http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:06 am

Wasp wrote:
Niflhel wrote:
I've also driven the AMX 13 75, but was unable to unlock it's full potential - The part I was struggling the most with was the horrible gun elevation. But I got more experience with lightly armored fast tanks now, so perhaps I should think about buying it again. Still got the crew!

It is on half price now (AMX Discount) maybe that can convince you to rebuy it Very Happy
Damnit! Bought that thing a couple of hours after you suggested it. I could have saved credits!
Oh, I see what's going on here. Wasp, I bet you knew that the AMX 13 75 would get a discount, and choose to suggest it just before the discount so I'd waste money. I feel deceived! Why do you hate me so? Is it because I'm new? Wait, does everyone hate me? DO YOU?
ARGH, I FEEL FRUSTRATED. WHAT CAN I DO? I know. Oh I know. I'll leave the clan!!

... Wait, damnit, still on the waiting list. Hmm. So much for my revenge. Sad 

I'm kidding, of course (You didn't think that was obvious? Fool!).

I'll be sure to take you up on your offer, Kifla. Sorry for misspelling your name! I think I'll just call you Giffel from now on... That's the danish word for Kifla. And Giffel almost rhymes with Niflhel!
Giffel and Niflhel, driving in a 'toon... (Whoever can finish this up in the most awesome way, gets a cookie. Just ask Monty for it)

To all those who say I shouldn't toon up with Kifla: Teamkilling is absolutely required when driving in an M18 platoon. You want to be challenged, now, don't ya?

Edit: You guys like my avatar? I think it does a good job at representing the attributes I posses, such as extreme intelligence. Only a smart fish would wear a bicycle helmet!
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:52 am

Niflhel wrote:
Damnit! Bought that thing a couple of hours after you suggested it. I could have saved credits!
Oh, I see what's going on here. Wasp, I bet you knew that the AMX 13 75 would get a discount, and choose to suggest it just before the discount so I'd waste money. I feel deceived! Why do you hate me so? Is it because I'm new? Wait, does everyone hate me? DO YOU?
ARGH, I FEEL FRUSTRATED. WHAT CAN I DO? I know. Oh I know. I'll leave the clan!!

Yes. You will fit in. Very well Wink

PS. Don't toon with Vampir, he will find an excuse to oneshot teamkill you.

Instructor
Deputy Commander
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:20 am

Niflhel wrote:
Wasp wrote:
Niflhel wrote:

I'll be sure to take you up on your offer, Kifla. Sorry for misspelling your name! I think I'll just call you Giffel from now on... That's the danish word for Kifla. And Giffel almost rhymes with Niflhel!
Giffel and Niflhel, driving in a 'toon... (Whoever can finish this up in the most awesome way, gets a cookie. Just ask Monty for it)

To all those who say I shouldn't toon up with Kifla: Teamkilling is absolutely required when driving in an M18 platoon. You want to be challenged, now, don't ya?

Edit: You guys like my avatar? I think it does a good job at representing the attributes I posses, such as extreme intelligence. Only a smart fish would wear a bicycle helmet!

They grow up so quickly Sad .

Next lesson: how to troll really good, lesson 1: do not appologise Wink

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:31 am

Boos B wrote:
Niflhel wrote:
Wasp wrote:
Niflhel wrote:

They grow up so quickly Sad .

Next lesson: how to troll really good, lesson 1: do not appologise Wink
I promise I'll sign up for it if you post it under lessons.
Niflhel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:24 am

Looks like you'll fit right in mate! Just don't let the trolls bite you Wink
SteelToedSneakers

View user profile http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content