» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Can't commit myself to a tech tree line

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't commit myself to a tech tree line

Post  CountOfTuscany on Fri May 17, 2013 4:53 am

For those who wondered why I have a lot of tier 6 vehicles in my garage: I've got a problem. I have trouble to commit myself to a tech tree line.
For example, once I had the ambition to get a Tiger or a Panther. I had pz38na researched and thought I would take the route through the VK3601H and the VK3002DB (last one in case of panther). Grinded through pz38na, grinded half way pz4, and then... nothing. got bored of the grind ( I dont like the pz4).

Some lines I did better: after two horrible vehicles (yes, I hated stug)I got my hands on the Jagdpanther, which I like (dont play it that much though).

Currently I'm grinding credits to buy an IS. I'm interested in the IS-3 and I think the IS is a continuance of the KV-1s gameplay. Tbh after playing KV-1s and KV-3 for a while I've got a bit sick of those kind of guns that miss over 250 meters and take a century to aim, the 122 ones. I feel like I'm drifting again from this line, but by now I'm sick of not being able to commit myself to a tech tree line.
Anybody got some helpfull advice?
CountOfTuscany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't commit myself to a tech tree line

Post  Sgt_Kelly on Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Who says you have to commit to one line ?

I’m working on 8 or 9 different lines simultaneously. I prefer to advance slowly on a broad front rather than shooting up the tiers with one particular line and then going back for the next one.
Sgt_Kelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B on Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I think the problem in this case is the expectation. You expect a higher tier tank in the line to be an upgraded version of its predecessor, but it is not. In some lines there are a few tanks that are absolutely horrible and some that are fabulous.

What I would recommend you to do is keep the PIV and do each day a first victory until you get to the point that you can manage to grind the rest of the tank with relative ease. I do the same to be honest. Then, the rest of the play time I play a tank which I fancy playing.

For the german line: you probably will like the VK36.01. It is a very good tank, arguably (one of the) best tank(s) in the game.

The russian tanks are indeed very inaccurate, but when you get a little further, you will learn to bring it up close and personal in the IS series. I loved that series, until I got to the IS-8, which was totally different (a medium disguised as a heavy). When I understood what the tank was about, I actually really enjoyed it.

I think that would be my main advice: try to find per tank, what the purpose and role of that tank is, you will find out, that there are actually only a few really useless tanks. (I am going to warn you about the VK30.02D, that is a horrible grind...)

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 on Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Find a tank that you must have. For example when I started, I look at the tech tree with one purpose in mind: Where's the Tiger? I find it and start playing my loltraktor and grind that line until I get my Tiger and get the right turret and the long 88. Then I would be invincible! Almost. Not really. But I still have it and still play it!

Bottom line, if you have a tank that you just must have, that's a great motivator Smile But it might be better to play more than on line. Imagine me in my Tiger with only 600-700 battles under my belt fighting against tier 10s (back then it was still possible). I was so happy with my new Tiger that I didn't notice how badly I was doing. Then I joined SGTA...

Edit: Also, platoons!

Instructor
Deputy Commander
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 pm

I don't wory about it too much, I've have a crap load of stuff researched that I don't even own. I only recently got Tier 8 arty after playing almost 5k battles.

this game is for fun, Tier 10s are only required if you play CW, otherwise don't bother.

Pick stuff you enjoy and just play it, don't bash your stats and your enjoyment by playing UP or stock tanks you hate just cos they are part of a line you feel you have to develop Smile If you enjoy PZ II in tier 2 battles there is nothing wrong with that.

Positively the WORST place to learn about tenks!
we_just_dinged_em

View user profile http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lostplace on Sat May 18, 2013 12:28 am

I am pretty surprised that someone can hate the Stug and even more that someone can be happy by driving the Tiger in a T10 battle. Very Happy

Is it possible that you are grinding through tank lines most of the times when playing? This would mean you play often tanks with incomplete modules, not fully equiped and with inexperienced crews. Playing under these circumstances can be very frustrating. The suggestion would be to keep more tanks you had fun with in your garage, mount everything you can get on it and do not only grind for the next tier but also for crew skills and finally your personal play skills. Once you get the hang on it, many tanks start to be much more fun than earlier expected.

And for the Pz IV: The 10,5 blaster turns it into a fun tank for those moments of grinding frustration. Derping gold ammo ... yes I know, but sometimes it's just fun and worth the curses. Razz

lostplace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayart on Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 am

lostplace wrote:
And for the Pz IV: The 10,5 blaster turns it into a fun tank for those moments of grinding frustration. Derping gold ammo ... yes I know, but sometimes it's just fun and worth the curses. Razz

With the incoming premium ammo nerf (increased price and reduced penetration) I wouldn't focus too much on that type of gun, unless you want to have some more fun.
Bayart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lostplace on Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am

Bayart wrote:
lostplace wrote:

With the incoming premium ammo nerf (increased price and reduced penetration) I wouldn't focus too much on that type of gun, unless you want to have some more fun.

Still a couple of weeks to go until patch 8.6. Wink And finally I am fine with this nerf as I got derped myself often enough.

lostplace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChielScape on Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 am

At tier 5, the 105mm derp is great with regular HE ammo, no need to buy the gold.

Also a grinding tip: Don't use the free XP you accumulate to unlock tanks. Use it to unlock modules on new tanks instead.
ChielScape

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser on Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 pm

ChielScape wrote:
Also a grinding tip: Don't use the free XP you accumulate to unlock tanks. Use it to unlock modules on new tanks instead.
This, never take a stock tank out unless you have at least a decent gun/turret etc. If im struggling with a tank, I try not to sell it, ill try and research the tank/tanks above it before selling, even if i dont necessarily buy the next tank.
As far as grinding to get that 'better' tank, also remember that your oponents will be better too.

The VK36.01(H) as mentioned is worth any grind they put in front of it, great tank.

AndyScouser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany on Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Everybody thanks for the replies.

Currently I have a couple of nice and interesting tanks in garage to play, tanks I like to play or tanks I think I would like them when I have more experience in these. Examples are Jagdpanther, E8, Jumbo, KV-5, KV-1s, KV-2.

Regarding to the replies I think I have 2 options:
- grinding to a tank I really want to have. In my case it would be IS-3, M26 or Hellcat.
- continue researching multiple lines: US med, USSR heavy (IS)/med(KV-13), US TD (Hellcat), German line up to somewhere vk36.01 and Tiger and getting a PZ3 for TC.

I think Hellcat is an easy goal. I want it, and I'm currently on T49. I would finish this goal first. Next probably IS/IS-3 since I've researched IS.

Now there is one thing I want to know. Tier 6 tanks are often used for tooning. How about tier 7-8? are thes used as much as tier 6, or less, or more? I am interested in playing different tiers to get a broader perspective of the game (instead of a narrow tier 6 experience), is this smart or should I still focus on tier 6-7?
CountOfTuscany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser on Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 pm

T49, now that is an awesome tank, i used to be very good at it but i seem to have lost my mojo for it.
American mediums...hhhm, i have pershing and T69, so both T8 meds, Im not going further and have started up the USSR medium line instead.

Teir 8 tanks are used the most in my experience for tooning, both full fat premiums or real T8's, as long as capable of getting in to T10 battles. IS-3, T32, KT are the main cuplrits id say.
AndyScouser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot_1 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:06 am

ChielScape wrote:Also a grinding tip: Don't use the free XP you accumulate to unlock tanks. Use it to unlock modules on new tanks instead.

+1
Sabot_1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany on Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 am

ChielScape wrote:

Thing I hate most: grinding stock vehicles. That's the part where the free xp comes in to play. :-)
spending valuable free xp on unlocking tanks is such a waste...

currently accumulating xp for IS-3. (no need to waste free xp on IS)
CountOfTuscany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shufuni on Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Wander the tech trees where your interest/fancy takes you, retain the tanks that make you smile and scrap the rest. I agree with what has been said before, use free xp to unlock modules. Smile
Shufuni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B on Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 pm

CountOfTuscany wrote:
ChielScape wrote:

Thing I hate most: grinding stock vehicles. That's the part where the free xp comes in to play. :-)
spending valuable free xp on unlocking tanks is such a waste...

currently accumulating xp for IS-3. (no need to waste free xp on IS)
Still there are some horrible tanks, that I absolutely wanted to get rid off and this I free-xped until the next tier (cough AMX-40) when I knew the next tank was better. To be honest, I could not care too much. I always want to see what a stock tank does. If it is really too bad stock, I will grind my type and lowe for cash and convertable XP.

Also: I do not always grind all modules of a tank, if I know I can research modules on the next tier easier. This typically would count for radios, but in some instances I did the same with the engine and non-essential guns.

INSTRUCTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top