» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Win7 or Win8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Win7 or Win8

Post  Yamaxanadu on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Well, I finally managed to bust my CPU and Motherboard through... Tea...
I want to get a new ones but wonder about OS... What is better and more optimized: Win7 or Win8?
Yamaxanadu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Win7 or Win8

Post  RoninRage on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi!

Win 8 is an awesome operation system on a tablet also it is quicker and has some other nice features.
But:
  • The UI is different (Most complaint point) and not the best i have seen for a non Touch device
  • Before installing it check if all device drivers for your pc are available for Windows 8
  • It might happen that WoT does not launch anymore, but in my case setting the Windows 7 compatibility mode fixed that.

I'm using Windows 8 on several of my devices and it is ok for me at work (Software Developer) and at home and it is stable and fast. But i bought it several months ago where it was quite cheap i don't know how the Prices are now.

Greetz
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 pm

RoninRage wrote:Hi!

Win 8 is an awesome operation system on a tablet also it is quicker and has some other nice features.
But:
  • The UI is different (Most complaint point) and not the best i have seen for a non Touch device
  • Before installing it check if all device drivers for your pc are available for Windows 8
  • It might happen that WoT does not launch anymore, but in my case setting the Windows 7 compatibility mode fixed that.

I'm using Windows 8 on several of my devices and it is ok for me at work (Software Developer) and at home and it is stable and fast. But i bought it several months ago where it was quite cheap i don't know how the Prices are now.

Greetz
RoninRage

Nice answer! I was wondering this issue myself!

It's always so handy to have a software expert around. You know really quick to appreciate his advice ^^
Ding760

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harlequin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 am

Windows 8 is primarily for tablets. You can use it on gaming PC or Laptop. But the issue with new operating systems is it can be a pain in the ass when trying to install old games that are only configured for windows 7 and below. It throws loads of curve balls. Best sticking with the old windows 7 until windows 8 has been out for a good solid year or 2, time for them to eradicate any issues. As Ronin said unless you can be sure that all your drivers you need are available in windows 8 you're best of leaving it.
Harlequin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Etairos on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 pm

No Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation do not use windows 8 better install win 7 and wait till Microsoft release win9 if you want to upgrade them
Etairos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 am

Yeah usually Windows goes like : good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> etc in pattern.

The reality is they fix bug in the bad windows by producing an entirely new product. Instead of patching the old bad windows. Heard this from a computer guru once. Very Happy
Ding760

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamaxanadu on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Yay! I've got new cheap CPU and motherboard.
Installed Windows 7 (since I have 12 free codes for RU Windows 7 Pro)...
Need to wait hell of time before all updates will be installed.
Yamaxanadu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm

*g* i know that problem ... several weeks ago i reinstalled the windows 7 notebook of a friend. well what he did not tell me was that he only got around the internet performance of ISDN (64K) what means we started at 7am with the whole action and completed it at 7pm after windows and office updates.
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Ding760 wrote:Yeah usually Windows goes like : good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> etc in pattern.

The reality is they fix bug in the bad windows by producing an entirely new product. Instead of patching the old bad windows. Heard this from a computer guru once. Very Happy

It's normally this way

Windows 95 trash, windows 98 good, windows 2000 trash, windows xp good, windows vista trash, windows 7 good, windows 8 is actually mixed opinions as most complaints are as said before, on the GUI due to it being a hybrid tablet/pc/phone OS. The concept is good in my opinion as it ensures only hardware is the limitation and not the software, such as how many games are unable to install on Macs or android devices and vice versa.
Besides, new OS = more profit for the company as especially Microsoft who have contracts with computer manufacturers that they sell with windows pre-installed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamaxanadu on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, Windows 8 is actually Windows 7 + METRO... So I afraid Windows 9 will be trash...
Yamaxanadu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 pm

I doubt Mircrosoft will release 2 trash Windows in a row... it's bad for business -.-
Ding760

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

A general rule of thumb for windows is: Leave the graphical fanciness to Apple. Leave it simple, stylish and easy to orient in with minimum background hardware drain. People who use computers over MACs are mainly about customization, freedom and potential over user friendliness, graphical looks and "feeling rich".
By having a whiteboard that you can draw like you want, means it has potential for both amateur artists and potential for great artists whereas MAC and windows vista for example, are pre-painted canvases you're just getting for the looks.

Windows xp are windows 7 are both examples of good windows OS where performance/freedom is valued over the graphical fanciness that you see in windows vista, whom in all honesty nobody cared about as it drained a tremendous amount of hardware power just to "look good".
I would rather have a computer that has a DOS command bar that decides all its power for the application I intend to use it for, such as photo/video rendering or gaming rather than a fancy looking thing that runs stuff slower than a snail on a turtle walking backwards.

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 am

@2 Trash OS's in a row ... well as far as i heard in the last week Microsoft is changing their release cycles and naming. So i read an article in IT Blogs (sorry german),english, that the next OS will be there till Autumn, called 8.1 and have an Option to have a start button and the Desktop as Default. BUT i was on a Training at Microsoft last december where a MS Guy was asked if he really thinks that somebody would buy Windows 8 and he said well i don't care. Because just of new saled PC's we will have the market break even between XP and 8 till end of 2013 at least and 2 Million sold licenses (in a small Country like Austria). And they don't care about if you buy a new pc with win 8 on it and replace it with 7/XP/Linux/etc cause for them thats a sold license => Money. ONLY when they lose resellers and distributers like Dell, Lenovo/IBM, etc they will get in trouble.

And as you can see on this link win xp break even might work.

@Keep it simple well for a touch based os Metro/modern ui is quite straight Forward and simple in my opinion. No fancy 3d stuff almost no complex icons and so on. And on the Performance front i have to say i own an tablet based on Intel Atom (so really not powerful) and it is fast and fluent like hell. Well don't expect to do development or photoshop or other "exotic" stuff on it. But in my opinion it is even not built for that. So yes i like it on my tablet and i kind of life with it because of Job and Hardware issues

@StartButton Desktop affairs:
Just use something like Classic Start8

A much larger Problem for non Windows 8 Software is the hardened security policy which is known by win 8, wot xvm users because of the Installation Problem of dokan library.

greetz
Ronin
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamaxanadu on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Well, the main problem and feature of all Windows is back-compatibility...
Yamaxanadu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Etairos on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Kawashiro wrote:
Ding760 wrote:Yeah usually Windows goes like : good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> bad windows -> good windows -> etc in pattern.

It's normally this way

Windows 95 trash, windows 98 good, windows 2000 trash, windows xp good, windows vista trash, windows 7 good, windows 8 is actually mixed opinions as most complaints are as said before, on the GUI due to it being a hybrid tablet/pc/phone OS. The concept is good in my opinion as it ensures only hardware is the limitation and not the software, such as how many games are unable to install on Macs or android devices and vice versa.
Besides, new OS = more profit for the company as especially Microsoft who have contracts with computer manufacturers that they sell with windows pre-installed.
actually win 98 were the best of them all sp3 ruined them but still they were the best by far
Etairos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Etairos on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Yamaxanadu wrote:Well, Windows 8 is actually Windows 7 + METRO... So I afraid Windows 9 will be trash...
win8 are very good is for tablets and servers but not for desktops/laptops I think win9 will be better suited for desktop/laptops
Etairos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamaxanadu on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Update completed. Waiting for EU patch to download full client.
Yamaxanadu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top