by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

105 LeFH18B2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

105 LeFH18B2

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 am

Main characteristics

So far the only premium artillery piece introduced into the game, the LeFH18B2 (or 'leffe' as I like to call him) plays very much like the American M7 priest SPG. It's an accurate SPG with good reload and a reasonable gun arc, it's also got a great range for a Tier 4 SPG and is relatively well armoured (unless someone shoots the turret which has weak armour). It's cons are that it has a low damage output per shot and that it is very slow and has a poor traverse. However, if you play to the vehicles strengths, it can be a great arty piece and will earn you a modest income (it's not a spectacular credit earner, besides being a premium vehicle). Weighing in at 33 tons, scouts that attempt to ram this arty will have a nasty surprise.

Tank Specifications

Price: 1,500 gold (not purchasable via the normal tech tree)
Hitpoints: 260
Engine chance of fire 20% (all engines)
View range 390m
Traverse 22deg/s
Top speed 28 kmh
Gun: 105mm LeFH18 L28 (HE = 40-66mm pen, 308-513 dmg HEAT = 113 - 188mm pen, 263-438 dmg, AP = 48-80mm pen, 263-468 dmg)

Crew:
Commander
Gunner
Driver
Loader

Mobility

Mobility is not the tanks strong point, it crawls along, and swampy ground etc will make things a lot worse. If you're usd to the M7 priest, you may find the low top speed and larger size of this arty disturbing, but as with all SPGs, picking the right 'camp' spot is essential. Mobility is sufficient to move to avoid counter battery but you won't be able to outrun scouts or mediums.

Armor

Surprisingly well armoured (for an SPG) the LeFH18B2 has a strong hull that will bounce most scout guns at the lower tiers. The weakest area is the 'turret' around the gun and experienced tankers will shoot here to minimise the chances of a bounce. The exposed tracks are also a weakness (much like it's sister the Heavy B2 tank).

Armament

Being a premium vehicle, it comes 'researched' with the 105mm LEFH18 L28 cannon installed. this gun is accurate, with good range and good ROF. It has a low shell arc, meaning you will struggle to hit enemies behind cover, but the gun depression is good, allowing you to go into TD mode for self defence.

Normal HE rounds suffice in most battles, with most tankers keeping a few HEAT rounds for those well armoured enemies. AP is largely useless at high tiers, but it's cheap (60 credits per shell) and can still damage lightly armoured enemies. Also, AP doesn't produce tracers, making counter battery fire difficult. However, in low tier games, it's debatable how many SPG players bother with CB anyway.

I tend to keep a loadout of 34 HE, 4 HEAT and 4 AP rounds in my Leffe.

Review

Comparison to other tier 4 arties.

Compared to other tier 4 arty, the Leffe is a bit of a strange beast. It doesn't have the huge alpha damage of the Grille, nor does it possess the high top speed or the Priest or AMX 105 AM. It has more range than the SU5 and a wider gun arc than every Tier 4 SPG apart from the Priest. It's also much larger than the other Tier 4 arties, making camoflauge nets and skills essential.

Personally, I find it plays very much like the Priest (although with less ammo) and there's not much to choose between them. In a knife-fight with scouts, the LeFH18B2 can be dangerous if properly handled (and if they keep shooting your hull like a noob)

Maps

As with all arty, the Leffe favours open maps such as Steppes, El Halluf. Targeting enemies in cities is difficult due to low gun arc. On maps like Himmlesdorf, it can be used successfully as a TD provided you get to cover quickly once you've fired. Don't expect to take on heavy tanks single-handedly and win though.

Advantages of tank

+ Accurate gun
+ Good ROF
+ Decent range for it's tier
+ Decent armour for an SPG
+ Wide gun arc
+ Can go into TD mode to defend against scouts

Disadvantages of tank

- Poor top speed making escape difficult
- Poor damage output per shot (try to aim for flanks or rear to maximise damage)
- Large silhouette makes hiding it difficult
- low gun arc, making hitting targets behind cover difficult
- Low credit earning potential for a premium vehicle

Suggested crew skills

Personally, I always train camo skills on all crew first. Once you've done this, you could go for BIA or pick skills such as controlled impact to pwn scouts, off road driving to improve mobility or snap shot to improve accuracy.

Suggested equipment

My standard equipment loadout for arty is camo net, gun laying drive and rammer. In my opinion you shouldn't be fitting anything else.

Positively the WORST place to learn about tenks!
we_just_dinged_em

View user profile http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 105 LeFH18B2

Post  Bayart on Wed May 22, 2013 5:18 pm

I love this "little" SPG. The amount of trolling you can put with this because of its weight and decent armor is incredible. The only real thing that buggers me is the absolute lack of splash damage.
Bayart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm

You don't really need splash tho, it's accurate enough to hit specific parts of tanks. Plus the lack of splash is common across many of the other French arties, even at higher tiers.

we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Wen90 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 am

Too bad it's going to be uptiered and lose a ton of accuracy next patch Razz
Wen90

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 am

Wen90 wrote:Too bad it's going to be uptiered and lose a ton of accuracy next patch Razz

Uptiering wont matter - it fights Tier 8 tanks anyway.

Arty is not losing any accuracy next patch, Dispersion is being increased but to compensate the Gaussian curve for shell placement is being changed so that accuracy will be maintained (accuracy is being improved on all tanks btw). They are increasing arty dispersion because otherwise the accuracy changes would make arty to OP (it would be too accurate).

So basically, this arty will play much the same as before.

The only real arty nerf will be reduction in HEAT performance, as it will pretty much make the SU-5 useless because it doesnt carry enough normal shells to do decent damage.

we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Wen90 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 am

I was just joking; I know Razz

They are actually planning to cut the SU-5's ammunition capacity even further.
Wen90

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em on Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 am

Wen90 wrote:I was just joking; I know Razz

Well, unless it gets a serious buff to its HE dmg or maybe a reduction in tiers (no more fighting KV1s etc) then it will be the most useless arty in the game.

we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Wen90 on Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 am

montyburns1982 wrote:
Wen90 wrote:I was just joking; I know Razz

Well, unless it gets a serious buff to its HE dmg or maybe a reduction in tiers (no more fighting KV1s etc) then it will be the most useless arty in the game.

According to leaked supertest stats, ammo for the 152 mm Mortar NM mod. 1931 will be cut to 12 (from 14) but damage will increase from 360 to 450.
Wen90

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum